Saturday, February 22, 2014

This I Believe [About Teaching & Learning]

On the advent of your field practicum in middle school, I would like you to compose a succinct yet comprehensive statement that articulates what you believe about teaching and learning. You may throw English language arts into the mix, but please do not focus entirely on the content. Let's focus first on the art, the craft, the pedagogy, the motivation. What needs to be in place for learning to occur? What should learning look like? What are you teaching for? What are you teaching against?

Use those slam-rific poetic skills, folks, to craft a statement (1-3 paragraphs?) of thoughtful, careful words that will give us (and others!) a glimpse into your teaching philosophy before you step foot in your middle school placement.

Please have this (substantive) statement posted to your own blog by Sunday evening at 5:00pm, so others have time to read, comment and soak it in. Thank you!

Here's the actual This I Believe site, in case you've never heard of it. http://thisibelieve.org/

And, here are the guidelines and instructions for writing, from the NPR website. Please read these directions carefully and follow them. (For example, I don't want to see "we" statements or "all teachers should" statements, just "I" statements.)

This I Believe Essay-Writing Guidelines

Tell a story: Be specific. Take your belief out of the ether and ground it in the events of your life. Consider moments when belief was formed or tested or changed. Think of your own experience, work, and family, and tell of the things you know that no one else does. Your story need not be heart-warming or gut-wrenching—it can even be funny—but it should be real. Make sure your story ties to the essence of your daily life philosophy and the shaping of your beliefs.
Be brief: Your statement should be between 350 and 500 words. That’s about three minutes when read aloud at your natural pace.
Name your belief: If you can’t name it in a sentence or two, your essay might not be about belief. Also, rather than writing a list, consider focusing on one core belief, because three minutes is a very short time.
Be positive: Please avoid preaching or editorializing. Tell us what you do believe, not what you don’t believe. Avoid speaking in the editorial “we.” Make your essay about you; speak in the first person.
Be personal: Write in words and phrases that are comfortable for you to speak. We recommend you read your essay aloud to yourself several times, and each time edit it and simplify it until you find the words, tone, and story that truly echo your belief and the way you speak.

2 comments:

  1. I am headed into the teaching field because I would rather try teaching than any of

    the other 27 jobs I’ve done in my life! Also, I want to be a teacher because I grew up

    with a teacher, and I have many memories of adults helping me engage in the world.

    They helped me find words for all that I saw, that’s why I’m drawn to teaching ELA.

    My childhood teachers were patient, and very consistent. These are my earliest

    examples of teachers.


    I am headed into the teaching field because I believe it is the most important job in the

    world, right after parenting. Even as a substitute teacher, I love how I feel in the

    classroom-alive, plugged in, connected to some invisible string, connecting people and

    thoughts. Another reason I want to go into teaching is this: for a gazillion years I kept

    having a nagging, marching band of thoughts that rented space in my head. They

    sounded like this:

    Why am I NOT a teacher?
    THAT’s something I would like to try.
    THAT’s something I think I’d be good at.

    Oh, I would talk myself out of it. I mean what sane person goes back to college after

    @#? years! THAT inner talk would sound like this:

    You could do it. . .
    It would be hard. . .
    You should try. . .
    What are you crazy?

    Can you get a sense of how exhausting these voices were?! I decided I would go to

    any lengths to shut them up! So, here I am!


    One more thing I want to say-I am not of the belief that we should educate our youth

    and seek to improve the process of doing so so that we can compete with Norwegians,
    Europeans, or anyone else, for that matter. Rather, I believe I want to be part of a

    movement that educates our youth with tireless effort and the most sound practices

    available because it turns our brains on and pumps our hearts better. If used wisely,

    education like this makes us humans being rather than doing, it connects us to each

    other, to the world. When we channel our brains through our emotional circuit, we can

    be a force for change, or at the very least, consistent good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      First off, I love how you began this! I instantly wanted to read on, you have such a way with tone in your words! Please please PLEASE teach this to your students!
      “I believe it is the most important job in the world, right after parenting.” Finally someone says it! As public servants, we are caring for an enriching the minds of so many young people, we have as much influence over them as their families sometimes! We have this wonderful privilege of sharing knowledge and ideas with so many intelligent young people who can and will shape the future. How is that not the coolest thing ever?
      I also want to thank you for letting us hear your “thoughts”.
      Also, “When we channel our brains through our emotional circuit, we can be a force for change, or at the very least, consistent good.” This is your belief yes? I think this is a good belief to have and I am glad you shared with us.

      Delete